Saturday, June 6, 2009

Over the GREEN Fence

There are times when designing a fence and painting it to suit the neighborhood, the community, or other specific causes means taking a risk and putting your imagination to work. Over the green fence came to mind. The past several months, I've considered the kind of fence I want to surround my personal property.

  • Playful and fun kept coming to mind.
  • Privacy and visually reductive was obvious.
  • Colorful wasn't on my initial list, but it sounded good.
  • Who could resist looking over the Green Fence into the neighborhood?
  • Along came DIFFERENT and I couldn't resist.
  • Then the City of Lamar started playing harassment games over their stringent city ordinances and I considered the response to the green fence and how much attention it would draw when the City starts harassing me over the color and style of my new green fence.
I could write a blog post about it - I thought - conjuring up images of various fence styles I could design to surround my somewhat modest home. Since the colors I choose probably won't be traditional neighborhood colors, the city control freaks might have an issue with my random color selections.

Of course the green fence above was my initial design, but then the concept of painting the house with brilliant colors and letting the neighborhood enjoy a more than exuberant design came to mind. Now, I probably should let you in on the secret that I have a few strange yard ornaments, like a footed bathtub water fixture, a toilet fountain, and fertilizer spreader - the old antique variety with a huge rake and old steel wheels. I'm seriously thinking I'll need to create a nice sign that says "Happy House" on a winding ribbon that runs down my fence.

If you have suggestions, leave them in the comments section. I'll consider them.

Oh? The toilet is turquoise and the claw footed tub is violet on the outside with yellow feet and the inside is a lovely shade of teal! They're going to make an awesome vignette in my front yard!

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking color today - you've created a giant, in more ways than one!!

    Training for the city code inspectors...try this on for 'color diversity'!

    Recycling, a whole new dimention.

    MBB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,

    Thank you for taking time to post here today. I believe you've caught a glimpse of the strategies I'm thinking for painting my own place. I know you're painting yours, perhaps I could help with the color choices (in more subdued selections, of course).

    Jan

    ReplyDelete